Thursday, November 1, 2012

Miscellaneous . . . .

I have mostly neglected all of you since the semester has started. This was out of necessity it's not because I don't like you guys anymore or anything. :) This semester has been mostly horrible. I am attending 20 credit hours of classes (although I only have 15 credit hours of homework), working an average of 15 hours per week, and 4 of my classes are upper division. I haven't had time to breathe, let alone update my blog.

So you may be wondering why I'm writing this entry today then? That is because I'm at work (in the computer lab), I'm sick of doing homework, and no one needs very much help. So I'm sitting trying to make the last hour of my shift fly by. At the moment it's crawling.

I have been kinda enjoying the Javascript class this semester, it's been really challenging but rewarding at the same time. It's a mostly easy language to work with and it has intuitive things about it. The first semi-interesting project that we did was make a game of breakout. This was written entirely with just Javascript.
You can view it here. The next interesting project that we did was photo gallery. Now I know that there are a lot of photo gallery apps, plugins, and programs, but I wrote this one so it's cooler. :) It is also the project that I'm most proud of. You can view it here. I also just finished a calendar project that took a bazillion hours and that I hated. You can see that here. On a slightly related project, had to do an instructional paper for my English class. I use Javascript to make it look nicer. Hopefully it will impress the teacher and I will get a good grade. That can be found here.

I have also been doing a lot of things with design lately. In my Print Production class we had to make a 2 or 3 color band poster. I chose to do Linkin Park. I went with a grunge feel to go with their "underground" feel.

This is the Linkin Park poster that I made for my Print Production class.
I had fun with this assignment.
I am also working on a whiskey bottle label for that same class. I haven't finished it yet but I have some comprehensive proofs done. Which of the three to you like most?

The first one was my original idea, and so I'm partial to that one.
However, I do like how all three of them turned out.
I have also been sitting in on the 3D modeling class that uses Maya. The nice part about it is that it gives me an excuse to work in Maya three days a week and not feel guilty about it. Since it's just an hour here and an hour there I don't have a ton of work to show but I have a few things.

While the rest of the class was doing their logo assignment, I resurrected my
old logo and gave it a new skin and did some better renders.
After watching a video explaining how to do portal lights in Maya, I was
dying to try it. This was my attempt. I have to say that I'm not displeased
with the result.
This was a product of my messing around with refractions in class.
This was me just messing around in class. This is Fred the Robot and he is
made only with polygon primitives.
I wanted to work on something doable for a while so I made a stand for my
Samurai sword. The little arms are even covered in felt so it doesn't scratch
my scabbard. :)
I made this yesterday because I wanted to figure out how to use translucence
in say a lamp shade. I like the way it turned out. 
Well, I hope that this post gave you a little window into my world. Keep it real, people! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment