Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Happiness Comes in Many Different Flavors . . . .

What you behold before you is a truly amazing piece of technology.

Today, after my classes got out, I wandered over the cafeteria to get some lunch. I ran into some friends and chatted for an hour and a half. I looked at my watch and realized that it was 3 PM, that meant that the mail had arrived. I could hardly sit still from the excitement, but not wanting to be rude, I didn't tell my friend that I needed to go right away. So I waited. Thankfully, I didn't have to wait long since my friend needed to get his bike fixed before the bike shop closed. Soon after that we parted ways and walked quickly to the resident life building (that's where my mail comes) and entered. Kathy, the nice lady behind the desk, saw me walk in and before I said anything, went over the mail rack and retrieved the package addressed to me.

I was elated. I quickly thanked her and literally sprinted across the lawn to my dorm and tore open the padded envelope with feverish haste. To my surprise I found another padded envelope inside of that. Strange, I thought, as I ripped into the second envelope. Thoughts were flitting across my mind that this was better than Christmas. As I opened the second envelope, I noticed that there was a box inside of this one. Surly, this was the last layer and then I could retrieve my prize. The box proved difficult to open since it had been taped on all 6 sides. My small pocket knife cut at the tape for a good 45 seconds before I could pry the box open. Inside the box was yet another padded envelope. Worried thoughts started to drift through my head that wondered if this could be some kind of elaborate joke. I tore into the third envelope with, if it's possible, more haste than the previous ones, but to my joy, a small, black brick dropped out that looked just like the one pictured above. : ) It should also be noted that this "brick" is much more functional than a real one.

With 120GB of storage (that's 4 times the size of my last Zune), a 3.2" screen (.1" bigger than my last Zune), a squircle (is a kick-butt rounded square that has touch sensitivity and button clicking capabilities that is HUGH leaps and bounds better than my last Zune) and a piano black finish (about a million time shinier than my last Zune), make it not only attractive, but useful as well.
There are a few things that I am disappointed about though. There is very slight background noise when songs are changed, also when it's plugged into the wall and the screen is on the screen "sings" in your headphones for some reason. Why it only does it when it's plugged in the wall, I don't know, but it's kinda annoying. Although I knew that there would be no equalizer, I still miss it. I'm used to a little extra kick from the bass and little more height to the treble. This a just a sacrifice for more storage, a bigger screen, three times the battery life and a 25% smaller piece of equipment. A fair trade.

Before you jump to conclusions that this MP3 player sounds bad, it sounds the same as my old Zune, just flatter than the equalizer setting I liked. But when my old Zune is set to default, my new Zune sounds the same on the same song.

Anyway, look and revel in its awesomeness just like I have all day. : )

{Peace}

No comments:

Post a Comment